Meet the DreamUp to Space Mission 2018-2019 Finalists! During the final phase of the Experiment Design Challenge, these teams will respond to comments regarding their proposals, make improvements to their proposal, create a short video “pitching” their idea, and also create a plan on how — if their experiment is chosen to fly to the International Space Station — they will use the opportunity for their school site. These learners may seek experts to support all aspects of this challenge. Their proposals and videos will be reviewed by a panel of science and space experts, and the top 3 teams will have their experiments flown and conducted on ISS this fall.
Three final teams will be chosen to send their experiment to be conducted on the ISS. The teams simultaneously conducts a ground-based experiment for data comparison in post flight analysis. The selected iLEAD teams, accompanied by their facilitators, will be invited to attend the launch where they will have the opportunity to present their experiments at Kennedy Space Center.
Congratulations to the following learners:
- Isley Mitchell, Presley Radford, and Kallie Verkouteren (Project: How Does Microgravity Affect the Growth of Holy Basil?) (VIDEO)
- Luci Palmieri, Madeline Santulan, Draven Cozzarelli, LJay Weaver, Sette Courtney (Project: How Would a Strawberry Seed in Agar Agar React in Microgravity?)
- Charlie Halvorsen, Skye Van Verseveld, Maliah Sanmarti, Gabriel Olmos (Project: Can Kelp Grow in Microgravity?) (VIDEO)
- Miriam Benhamou, Alyssa Jimenez, Will Dincau (Project: Ginger Herb After Exposure to Microgravity)
- Mackenzie Donovan and Emily Barragan (Project: How Do Antibiotics Affect E. Coli Bacteria in Microgravity?) (VIDEO)
- Adam Simpson, Brayden Hall, Mario Robles, Connor Raskin (Project: Can Mycelium Be Used for Construction in Microgravity?) (VIDEO)
iLEAD Agua Dulce
- Logan Cuellar, Kiera Donovan, Maddie Murtishaw, and Blake Mascon (Project: What is the Effect of Microgravity on the Germination of Lavender?) (VIDEO)
- Samantha Diem, Kaylee Pippin, Cody Anderson, Blaze Brunson (Project: What is the Effect of Microgravity on the Germination of Aloe Vera?) (VIDEO)
- Ana Lopez Barahona, Brianna Angel, Mariana Lopez, Lizette Monze Trujillo, Estrella Perez, Uriah Mack (Project: Aloe Vera in Microgravity) (VIDEO)
The teams were asked to answer the questions, “Is our idea a clear and compelling question related to space exploration and connected to research? Are we able to effectively communicate our idea and its importance? And as a bonus, does our visual presentation help tell the story?”